Top Ten Place Names with Sexual Double Entendres
Whether it be unfortunate lost in translation issues, or old place names coinciding with new English profanities, some place names are just rude, or funny. Usually both. Funny for those passing through, but not so funny for those who have to live there – here is our list of the top ten places with obvious sexual innuendo.
10. Brest, FranceNice and simple, Brest is actually a city in France. Whilst it is spelt differently to the female anatomical gland, the pronunciation is exactly the same. Hmmm… breasts…
9. Rimsting, GermanyRimsting in Germany is municipality located in Bavaria, in Germany. If you do not get the sexual or medicinal double entendre, you probably don’t want to know. For anyone who delves in homosexual activity or who has ate a really spicy curry, you’ll know it can be pretty painful.
8. Cocks, UK
This simple name gets straight to the point. Cocks is a small village located in Cornwall on the South West whose welcome traffic sign (above) provides constant amusement to all the lost tourists who accidentally enter the village. Probably not so amusing for the people who live there though.
7. Knob Lick, USAThe community of Knob Lick is situated in the state of Missouri, USA. It was named after the nearby Knob Lick mountain. Locally, a knob refers to an isolated mountain and lick refers to a salt lick. Sadly the people who named the community back in the 1800s were unaware of the additional meaning the name would take.
6. Meat Cove, CanadaThis rather inventive and comical name belongs to a fishing community on the Northern tip of Novia Scotia. The name likely comes from when fishing fleets used the protected cove to come ashore and hunt for meat. However in today’s rather more dirty and sexually orientated world, Meat Cove has a rather more filthy implication.
5. Muff, Ireland or USAThe place of Muff is more popular than you would actually think, with two towns in Ireland and one in Pennsylvania, USA. In fact the town of Muff in Donegal, Ireland even has its own diving website, the Muff Diving Club, where all budding Muff Divers can go and sign up for a …. PADI scuba dive course, of course!
4. Shag Island, New ZealandShag Island, also known as Tarahiki Island, is a small island in the Hauraki Gulf of New Zealand. It is named because it is a popular breeding ground for various types of bird. No, not in that way. The most popular type of bird that resides there is the Spotted Shag bird, and that is where the name derives from.
3. Felchville, USAIf you are unfamiliar with the term Felch or Felching, then its best not to do any research as your life will probably be better for it. It is only a recently used term, which is unfortunate for the town of Felchville in Massachusetts, USA. May be a change in name is in the not so far away future?
2. Sexmoan, PhilippinesSexmoan is a municipality in the province of Pampanga in the Philippines. The name Sexmoan was actually a result of a mispronunciation of its original name Sasmuan. Currently the town goes by the name Sasmuan. Hardly surprising.
1. Fucking, Austria
Fucking is an unluckily named town in Austria whose town and traffic signposts are frequently stolen (surprise…). Particularly amusing to many tourists is a sign saying
"Fucking – please not so fast" which refers to the speed of traffic, but with an obvious double entendre to English speaking visitors.
Add A Comment